This is just the beginning of something that is very dear to my heart, marriage. It just seems that everywhere that I look the concept of being married is is being degraded. I look to the past generation and see a war zone of torn marriages and kids that are the product of divorce. I look farther back than that and see people that knew what married for life meant. You can see them on the news, Clifford and Vivian married 61 years. What happened? Now in my generation you hear about people being married for two months and then divorcing. Obviously the idea of what marriage is has not really hit many people.

My purpose with this blog is to present some ideas about marriage from a Biblical perspective. Please feel free to contribute if you are married, Christian and vow to keep it together.

March 25, 2013

Appreciation

I can remember watching a Gary Smalley video when I was in the church youth group in my teens. The leaders fully admitted that the video series was for married people, but this particular episode they showed us because it had to do with Dr. Smalley’s personality test. If you don’t know what that is, it really can teach you a lot about who you are, and how you interact with other people. Go HERE to take the test. But that is not my focus for this posting.


There was something about how in families, and especially in marriage, when people feel like they are appreciated, it builds strength in a relationship. I think this goes all through our relationships. Think of those people that you are closest to. Do you get the sense that they appreciate you? Or the people that seem to want to spend time with you. Do they feel like you appreciate them?

For married people, I think this is something that really needs to be looked at. Do you show your spouse that you appreciate them? Do you thank them for the things that they do for you, or for the house? Do you show an interest in things that they are interested in? An odd example I have for this is something that my wife is interested in…. JFK and some of the conspiracies surrounding his death. We were watching a documentary recently and there was very little in the documentary that I didn’t already know. It’s like we have been together for long enough that I have gotten to know a lot about this kind of thing. I know she has had the same thing happen with my interest in sharks.

As a marriage grows and evolves, there can come a point where two people just get used to being with each other. Some of that I think is ok, but there also needs to be some effort to strengthening and maintaining the relationship. I think that a big part of that can be showing that you appreciate your spouse. Greet them at the door for a kiss when they have been gone for the day. Set aside time to talk about the day. When you’re talking, is your attention divided?

I am a BIG supporter of this idea! Married people have to continue to date. This is SO important…especially if you have kids. There has to be time for married people to get away from the “stuff” of life… the kids… the dishes… the laundry… the cleaning… the bills… just some time for a couple to get out of the house together.

So I declare today… the day that you read this, Appreciate Your Spouse Day! Today, do something to show your wife that you appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment